Online gaming has surged in popularity over recent years and there are more and more children choosing to play these games these days. However, with all the risks that the internet brings, it is very important for parents to do all they can to make sure that online gaming is a safe experience for their children and the following are some of the ways that they can do this:
- For children that are very young, it would be a good idea for the parents to play along with the children when they are playing these online games. This is a great way for parents to see how the game is played and to teach the child how to deal with anyone who is being particularly nasty as this can often happen. However, the problem is that some children as they get older, will not want their parents playing along with them as they will consider it to be babyish.
- For all children playing games online, it is important that they are aware of how to stay safe. The parents should make a point of teaching the child about the dangers that they could come across when playing online. There are many articles online about how to teach your child about the dangers of internet use so it is important that parents check these out. It is important not to frighten your child but to speak to them in a grown up manner about possible dangers and how they can deal with them. The best thing to do is to make sure your child is comfortable about speaking to you about any issues they may have when playing games online.
- There are often bullies that your child may encounter when playing games online and it is important that you as a parent know how to deal with these bullies. Most online gaming sites will have procedures in place about dealing with these grievers as they are known. Familiarise yourself with these procedures and make sure that your child knows what to do as well.
- When it comes to online games, it is a good idea to limit your child to playing with people that they know especially if voice chat is going to be used. This is one of the best ways of ensuring your child’s safety.
- Be sure that you have vetted the game that your child is playing before allowing them to continue. You need to make sure that the content in the game is appropriate for the child’s age. A lot of teenagers tend to lie about their age when setting up profiles so that they can play games that are not suitable. It is important that you are aware of the games your son or daughter is playing so that you can determine its suitability.
The most important thing that any parent can do to ensure safety for their child when it comes to online gaming, is to be aware of what is going on. Make a point of speaking to your child about the games they are playing and encourage them to be honest and open with you about the people they are engaging with on the internet.
Musa enjoys writing about diverse topics. His current project involves writing about Angry Birds online.